- Dragon Ball Super 2
- DuckTales 2017 1-4
- The Hanging Tree by Ben Aaronovitch
- The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman
- The Masked City by Genevieve Cogman
- The Lies of Locke Lamorra by Scott Lynch-Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch
- The Barbarous Coast by Ross Macdonald
- The Chill by Ross Macdonald
- The Far Side of the Dollar by Ross Macdonald
- The Way Some People Die by Ross Macdonald
- The Zebra-Striped Hearse by Ross Macdonald
- The Mammoth Book of Steampunk Adventure edited by Sean Wallace
- Dumbing of Age (ongoing webcomic)
- Oglaf (ongoing webcomic)
- Stand Still, Stay Silent (ongoing webcomic)
- The Stoop Gallants (ongoing webcomic)
- Strong Female Protagonist (ongoing webcomic)
- Wilde Life (ongoing webcomic)
- Star Trek Beyond (2016)
- The Life & Blues of Bessie Smith (Atlas Performing Arts Center)
- Julius Caesar (Atlas Performing Arts Center)
- Neverwhere (Atlas Performing Arts Center)
TV Shows/Web Series/Podcasts
- Bad Family 1-16
- Brooklyn Nine Nine 5.01
- Difficult People 1.01-3.09
- Critical Role 111-113
- The Good Place 1.01-2.02
- The Penumbra Podcast
- Please Like Me (Complete series)
- Red v. Blue 26-100
- Shadowhunters (Seasons 1-2)
- Superstore 3.01
Our Souls Still in Fetters (30803 words) by Cinaed
Fandom: Les Misérables - Victor Hugo
Warnings: No Archive Warnings Apply
Relationships: Javert/Jean Valjean, Cosette Fauchelevent & Jean Valjean
Characters: Javert (Les Misérables), Jean Valjean, Cosette Fauchelevent, Original Characters
Additional Tags: Undercover As Gay, Friends to Lovers, Post-Seine, Alternate Universe - Canon Divergence, First Time, Gay Bar, Complete, Case Fic
Summary: After Javert is assigned to discover a blackmailer within a public-house that caters to men who prefer other men, Valjean is unexpectedly drawn into the case. Together they must stop the blackmailer before any lives can be ruined...including their own.
What does that mean?
It means that the only books/comics I've read so far this year (all 68 novels and 21 graphic novels/manga at the end of May) were either written by women, authors of color, and/or authors identifying themselves as LGBTQA, and were generally focused on women, characters of color, and/or characters identifying as LGBTQA.
How has it been?
Pretty amazing, actually! I've been following some great diverse books tumblrs, and have been enjoying a huge percentage of the novels I've read so far. And it's just honestly relaxing and inspiring to be able to read so many diverse books and not have to deal with the POV of white cis male authors. (There are plenty of excellent books written by white cis male authors! But there is almost always a cringe-worthy moment of "...Yep, this was written by a white cis male author!" and it's nice not to have to endure that moment anymore.)
Will there ever be any recommendations?
Yes! I've got a fic for the wipbigbang that's due on the 16th, but after that I'll be focusing on composing multiple entries about diverse books. I'll probably be dividing it into groups of manga/graphic novels, historical romances, Young Adult fiction, non-fiction, fantasy novels, etc.
I'll be putting the recommendation lists under the tag "more diverse 2017," so hopefully I'll have one up in the next few weeks!
But anyway! My thoughts on DS9 aka SPOILERS GALORE:
- When I attempted to watch the show back in.... *mumble* undergrad back in 2006ish *mumble* I bailed at around season 3, which meant my favorite characters were pretty much Garak and Bashir and that was about it. This go around I loved pretty much everyone, but Kira, Nog, Garak, and Rom were the ones I enjoyed watching develop the most. (I still love Garak, and still ship Garak/Bashir but wow do I want to shake Bashir a lot A LOT.)
- All of my favorite episodes ended up being either Kira episodes, Quark/Ferengi episodes, Jadzia being awesome episodes, Garak/Cardassians episodes, or episodes where Sisko gets to shine without being bogged down with the Prophet stuff like the Gabriel Bell episodes and Far Beyond the Stars.
- I enjoyed how many different friendships and relationships there were on the show! Personal favorites include Jake and Nog, Dax and Sisko, Jake and Sisko, Worf/Jadzia, Garak/Bashir, Quark/Odo, Sisko and Nog, Garak and Odo, Kasidy/Sisko, Quark and his family, Odo/Kira, Kira and her Cardassians, every single one of Quark's weird romances (why did that awesome Cardassian dissident lady come back? why did Pel never get to show up again? you failed me show!), and all of Sisko's weird nemeses shouting "HATE/LOVE ME, SISKO!"
- That said, BENJAMIN LAFAYETTE SISKO! How dare you pull a Goku on your family? I don't care what the Prophets told you! This is not what Kasidy signed up for in the "for better or for worse" portion of marriage!
- Also I realize I should be annoyed by LGBTQ characters only being allowed in the Mirrorverse and being mostly evil, and I am, but I also loved all the weird shenanigans of Kira and her harem, Ezri/Leeta, and Garak hitting on Worf, like...I can't help it, that was great. But also I feel like gender/sexuality should be unimportant for joined Trills after a while, and also with the Ferengi culture being so toxic towards women that there should be a lot of male partnerships.
- Most of the villains were fascinating! I really loved Kai Winn and for the most part Gul Dukat, as well as the Dominion threat, and really wished that we'd focused on the Cardassian resistance in the final season instead of the Prophets/pah wraiths deal. Also...someone please help the Jem'hadar. They deserve better.
- My biggest complaint was the dim lighting, because half the time I couldn't figure out what was going on. Let us see the characters in the scene guys! I would like to see people's expressions during vital conversations!
Fanworks I want:
- Fix-it for Ziyal. Just imagine her staying on the station and becoming an artist collaborating with Jake for his books and news articles! Imagine them being Joseph Sisko's pride and joy as they help the abandoned Cardassian orphans on Bajor, visit Cardassia Prime post-show to tell the galaxy about its rebuilding efforts, write about the female Founder's trial, go to Ferenginar to study the social revolution, or just roam around the galaxy.
- Post-show look at the Jem'hadar and the Vorta in the aftermath of the Founders' defeat and the Federation trial of the female Founder. What do they become when they have no battle to fight? When they see their gods brought low and defeated? I actually feel like the Klingons and the Jem'hadar both have a lot in common and both need fundamental changes to survive and would be really interested in seeing their races change and adapt.
- After a discussion with bookelfe, an AU fic where Bashir manages to save Jadzia but Ezri still ends up with the symbiont, because it would be messy and complicated and interesting, with Ezri still having to adjust to being joined when that wasn't in her plans at all, still having some of Jadzia's memories, while Jadzia now has no memories of her joined hosts and she and Worf have to work through their relationship as Jadzia learns to live with just herself in her head.
- I realize "Bashir goes to Cardassia and reunites with Garak" is a staple and the equivalent of post-seine JVJ fic but I want all the varieties! There are a bunch of ways I can see Julian ending up there and I'd like to see all the options play out.
- Also Bajoran and Cardassian rebuilding stories, both of them recovering from the different occupations, with guest stars like Quark's ex and those awesome female scientists! What does Bajor do in the aftermath of the Dominion War? Do they finally join the Federation? How about Cardassia?
- More about the social revolution on Ferenginar that happened off-screen (come on show, that would've been a more interesting episode than O'Brien and Bashir rummaging around that Section 31 guy's mind!) because I have decided that Pel gets to come back and become Rom's financial adviser. Also more Ferengi women getting to go out and do business and make profit.
- Quark and Kira post-show, missing Odo together. Kira in general, because her as the person in charge of the station was a great character choice and I'd love to see more of her life post-finale.
Fandom: The Adventure Zone (Podcast)
Rating: Teen And Up Audiences
Warnings: No Archive Warnings Apply
Relationships: Carey Fangbattle/Killian
Characters: Carey Fangbattle, Killian (The Adventure Zone), Original Characters
Additional Tags: Pre-Canon, First Meetings, Canon-Typical Violence, Crush at First Sight, Misunderstandings
Carey had quickly established herself as one of the best thieves in the business due to good instincts, top-notch rogue skills, and pure enthusiasm for challenges. Her instincts had told her not to take this particular job, but the pay was too good to turn down, even if it meant meddling in the affairs of wizards.
Killian gets some bad intel. Carey does some cool rogue shit. Some wizard politics happen.
forget the inner me, observe the outer (2605 words) by Cinaed
Fandom: The Adventure Zone (Podcast)
Rating: General Audiences
Warnings: No Archive Warnings Apply
Characters: Taako (The Adventure Zone), Kravitz (The Adventure Zone)
Additional Tags: Developing Relationship, Self-Esteem Issues, Emotional Hurt/Comfort
After the events of The Suffering Game arc, Kravitz and Taako finally have a moment to catch up.
Taako discusses the importance of his brand. Kravitz gets a little handsy.
The show has made me laugh harder than any other canon in a while, but it's also got some amazing character development and emotional arcs, and I look forward to eventually catching up on the whole thing.
So! Rambling thoughts on Critical Role up to ep 48 behind the cut.
( MANY THOUGHTS ON CRITICAL ROLE )
....also I sort of want to write a fic about a librarian who's a cleric of Oghma has been trying to set up a public library hires Vox Machina to track down a stolen book from her collection, and shenanigans ensue. Mostly because Vex would cry over the terrible business model (what do you mean you let people borrow books and they DON'T PAY YOU?) and Grog would be very confused over this much fuss over a book. It doesn't even have any pictures!
I’m Cinaed here, Tumblr, AO3, and pretty much everywhere except real life.
First off, thank you for participating! I hope you enjoy Yuletide this year and that you have fun with my requests.
As you may guess from glancing at my fandoms and potential prompts, I like gen and relationships of any variety.
Stuff I love includes but is not limited to: found families, epistolary/documentary, friends to lovers, hurt/comfort, pretend couples (that turn into real couples), friends with benefits, people showing their care and concern by feeding the other person, gardening, developing platonic or romantic relationships, fix-its, missing scenes, and future-fic.( Fiddler on the Roof, The Squire's Tales, District Merchants, Miss Congeniality, Longmire, and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend )